Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Elua Branch Experience

Kevin and I have been working on the Elua branch for about a week now everyday. It has been a wonderful learning experience. The programming part of it was not difficult, but the skills in the tools we had learned previously really came into use. By using quality assurance tools and continuous integration I really feel we developed a strong command line interface for the Wattdepot project.

I think the most interesting part of this experience was working in a team. I gained more experience coordinating tasks which was especially useful when working with two interoperable methods. We both worked on methods that complemented each other and continually committed to make sure that they integrated. We also found that dividing the work up into methods and tasks was useful, but we queried each other when there was a decision to be made.

The most interesting part, which I really want to learn more about is design patterns. The only design pattern I have a lot of experience with is MVC (Model View Controller) which I use extensively in PHP and a bit in Ruby on Rails.

We finished the entire specification to my knowledge, although it seems we can always make something better. I would never call a project finished, because that simply never happens. A project is always in a continuous state, once you stop working on it, it deteriorates. I have to admit I've grown a bit attached to this project because of the work I've put into it and I hope it can be used to evolve to something greater in the future.

Download and test out our CLI for Wattdepot, I'd like to know what you think

SVN Checkout:

svn checkout http://wattdepot-cli.googlecode.com/svn/branches/elua wattdepot-cli-read-only

0 comments:

Post a Comment